This image cannot be used commercially
The Cross and village water pump, Clowne
The Cross, Clowne
About this image
The Old Cross has stood in the centre of the village since c 1200. Traces of the sundial are still visible on the cross. Close by once stood the old village pump which can be seen here, and the village stocks, which unusually were made of stone. The pump and stocks were removed in c1930 and the site of the pump was covered over. The stocks were removed to a local garden. This picture also shows Braderings (?) Chemists (later Blatherwicks Chemists shop, then Gee's Double Glazing). Looking west up High Street. The Anchor pub is on the right. Mrs Greveson lived in the house next door, which later became a blacksmiths. After this was demolished, Mr Pearce used to park his lorry there.