This image cannot be used commercially
The Cross and village water pump, Clowne, c 1900s
The Cross, Clowne
About this image
The Old Cross has stood in the centre of the village since c 1200. Traces of the sundial are still visible on the cross. Close by once stood the old village pump which can be seen here, and the village stocks, which unusually were made of stone. The pump and stocks were removed in c1930 and the site of the pump was covered over. The stocks were removed to a local garden. This picture also shows Frisby's shoe and boot shop and Allsop's haberdashery shop. These were later converted into one shop belonging to Mennels Drapers and outfitters. They are now the XS hair salon.