About this image
In 1875 Miss Bowden cut the first sod inaugurating the construction of Southgate Colliery. The pit was operational from 1877-1929. The first recorded death was of Rufus Mew in 1878. A 150 ft chimney was built in 1890. By 1900, with a 1000 ft deep shaft, the mine had a workforce of 400 men and production was 600 tons a day. On the 22nd November 1911 there was an accident involving 12 men, 3 were killed, named Bunday, Marlow and Wild. On March 18th 1920 rescuers took 6 hours to evacuate the pit after a fire destroyed No 1 Engine House. The colliery was abandoned in 1929 after an inrush of water on 17th January from the abandoned Oxcroft pit.