About this image
The signal on the left was of a type known as a somersault signal. The signal arm in this positon allows an approaching train to pass. Note that the signal post is made of timber (because it is square in section), also, on top of the post is a finial, a decorative feature. Clowne had two railway stations, one built by the Midland Railway Co, the other, by the Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Co. The North Midland Railway reached Clowne by 1888 with the opening of the Clowne and Mansfield branch off the Staveley line. The Station was renamed 'Clown and Barlborough' on 4 July 1938, with the letter 'e' added to the name of Clowne on June 1951. Both lines are no longer used. The site of some of the LDECR trackway became the Linear Park. The track of the ex-Midland Railway line still exists, albeit heavily overgrown. The old Midland station clock which is, oddly enough, an LDECR one (!) and came here from Fledborough Station, is still in existance and attached to the side of Station House. The Midland Railway station building still exists as does the old booking office, on North Road. The former LDECR station booking offices are visible from near Clowne's War Memorial (used for many years by a bank).