This image cannot be used commercially
Eastwood and Sons Grocers and Corn Factors shop (later Rattue's Toy Shop)
c 1890's-1900's ?
About this image
The house, no 4 was built around 1830 and the shop was added c1880. It began as J A Radford's grocery and off-licence. It is shown in the picture here as being run by Eastwood and Sons Grocers and Corn Factors. Mr Rattue bought the house from Mansfield Brewery c 1927 and it still belongs to Rattues to this day. The shop has retained its hoist and pulley wheel, but there are now only the ground floor windows on the side of the building. In the background on the left are the old stables and storerooms. The building on the far right was no 2 which was pulled down to make way for the LNER Railway (the new no 2 was Hanford's and is now Waplington's). The gentleman dressed in black speaking to the shop owner is Henry Russell b.1846, the small boy beside him is possibly his son Walter.