This image can be used commercially
Alexander Terrace, Pinxton Wharf.
c 1900 ?
About this image
Looking up Alexander Terrace showing the Wharf Methodist Chapel and Longwood Infants School on the left. The wharf was the terminus for the canal, which was built to link the collieries to the river Trent, and is very important to the area's heritage. Coal was mined on a small scale in Pinxton since Tudor times. With the arrival of a branch of the Cromford Canal in the 1790's a localised industrial revolution began. Within a decade or so of the canal's arrival several deep coal pits, four lime kilns and a china works were in operation near to the Wharf. The whole of the Cromford Canal, except for a 1/2 mile stretch at the southern end, was officially abandoned, and fell into disrepair. Now only a small section of the canal, near Pinxton, retains water.