This image can be used commercially
Flooding at Pinxton Wharf, Pinxton
About this image
Showing the East signal box and the level crossing of the Midland Railway in flooding. The Midland Railway line built a track from Pinxton Wharf to Mansfield in the early 19th century. It was horse drawn until 1849 when it became linked to the Erewash Valley railway. The wharf was the terminus for the canal, which was built to link the collieries to the river Trent, and is very important to the area's heritage. Coal was mined on a small scale in Pinxton since Tudor times. With the arrival of a branch of the Cromford Canal in the 1790's a localised industrial revolution began. Within a decade or so of the canal's arrival several deep coal pits, four lime kilns and a china works were in operation near to the Wharf. The whole of the Cromford Canal, except for a 1/2 mile stretch at the southern end, was officially abandoned, and fell into disrepair.