This image cannot be used commercially
'Trentham House', Acton Road, Long Eaton, c 1890s-1910s
Buxton Museum and Art Gallery
Acton Road (now Fields Farm Road)
About this image
This is Trentham House in Long Eaton. It was on Acton Road (when the new road was built it was on Field Farm road). It was built in 1907 for George Smith, a lace manufacturer with a life long connection to Long Eaton who was involved in many organisations. He died in 1923 and in 1939 it became the St Mary's Convent School. The school closed in 1964 and the premises were taken over by Nyla-Raywarp and used as offices for the company. Nyla-Raywarp became Derby Nyla, then Penn Nyla and finally Nylatex. Nylatex ceased trading early in 2010 and the house was demolished on 3rd September 2010.
Information supplied by Anne Higton