About this image
Postcard reference: 73899.
The river goes underground soon after its source and re-emerges in Poole's Cavern to flow down into the town centre of Buxton via Pavilion Gardens. It is culverted through Buxton, then runs through Cheedale, Miller's and Monsal Dale, then on to Ashford in the Water. At that point the Wye finally seems to begin to relax and widen into a broad river valley leading to Bakewell.
The Domesday book entry calls the town 'Badequella', meaning Bath-well. The town was built on the Wye at a spot where it was fordable and in 924 Edward the Elder ordered a fortified borough to be built here. Bakewell has one of the oldest markets in the area, dating from at least 1300, and the bridge helped with the crossing of animals to the market.
The spot shown here now has riverside walks and is popular for feeding the ducks and trout. The 5 span bridge over the river Wye was built in the 14th Century. It marks the Eastern entrance to the town. The river then moves past Haddon Hall and the junction with the Lathkill before flowing on to Rowsley and the junction with the Derwent.