About this image
By Llewellyn Jewitt (1816-1886).
A child prodigy, Jewitt grew up in the family home at Castle Orchard where he received his education and learned his trade and by the time he was twenty-one in 1837, had become an accomplished writer, artist, wood engraver, and an acknowledged natural scientist.
Amongst many noteable accomplishments Llewellyn founded the Derby Telegraph, was co-founding editor of `The Reliquary’, Illustrations manager of Punch, and wrote numerous books on a variety of subjects, including the definitive `Ceramic Art of Great Britain’. He was a renowned illustrator and an expert engraver and worked at Buckingham Palace in the presence of Queen Victoria. In addition he was a member of the British Archaeological Association, a Fellow of the Society of Antiquities, and along with Dr. Cox, founded the Derbyshire Archaeological Society in 1878.
This and more information about Llewellyn Jewitt can be found at www.aboutderbyshire.co.uk