This image can be used commercially
View of Belper Mills showing the Jubilee Clock Tower, c 1900
W A Morley
About this image
This view is looking down Bridgefoot towards the mill. The Jubilee Clock Tower, on West Mill was erected in 1898 to commemorate Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee of 1897. See also DCAV000478 and DCAV000480. It was demolished along with the rest of West Mill in the pre-conservation days, in 1962 and was a great loss to the Belper skyline.
The clock mechanism is now at Upton Hall Horological Museum, Newark; and the bell (note: G Sharp) is under the North Mill staircase.
The footbridge connecting the mill complex dates from 1795 and incorporates anti-luddite gun embrasures. South Mill is on the right.
Publisher of this postcard is unknown, but its reference is: 2526 1.