This image can be used commercially
View from St Peter's Church, Belper, c 1995
W A Morley
Looking towards Field Lane
About this image
St Peter's Churchyard with its West Avenue on the left. The road in the centre is St. Peter's Close and the church with spire is the former Congregational Chapel, now in private hands. The Modern United Reformed Church is on its right.
East Mill is in the background, with Mount Pleasant behind.
St. Peter's Church was dedicated in 1824, financed by a government grant of £11,000 and £1,500 raised by public subscription. The church was built to service the religious needs of the now increasing local population, the medieval St John's Chapel becoming much too inadequate due to its size. The church contains one of the earliest church organs in Derbyshire. The church tower was originally surmounted with 4 pinnacles, but these were removed in World War II. The church contains memorials to John Strutt II and his wife. It also contains a memorial to George Brettle who died in 1833. Church burials were discontinued here in 1859 when the town cemetery opened on Matlock Road.