This image can be used commercially
Old Police Station, Derby Road, Alfreton, c1900
c 1900s ?
About this image
Derby Road at about the turn of the century. The building on the right was the old Police Station, built in 1846 at a cost of 600 pounds sterling, and was demolished in 1939. The Abraham Lincoln Library was built on the same site in 1940. The low building on the left-hand edge of the photograph was Willsher's Chip Shop. The lane leading off Derby Road led to the old Swanwick Colliery and was used by the pitmen. Today, this lane in called Watchorn Lane. These buildings were demolished in the 1920's to make way for the Watchorn development scheme. Robert Watchorn, a local pit boy, became a Commissioner for Immigration at Ellis Island, New York, USA. He returned to Alfreton and carried out many improvements to the town. There is a Church dedicated to him, which stands in King Street. See DCHQ004523, DCAV000651 and DCAV000650.