This image cannot be used commercially
Alfreton and South Normanton Railway Station
About this image
This is the original Alfreton and South Normanton railway station which opened on 1 May 1862. The photograph was taken from off the bridge carrying the B6019 road over the line.
The station closed to passengers on 2 January 1967 (along with the other stations on the Erewash Valley line). The buildings were not demolished until late in 1972 (see NCCW000802) to make way for the new Alfreton and Mansfield Parkway station which opened on 7 May 1962. It was subsequently renamed Alfreton when Mansfield station on the Robin Hood Line was reopened.
There appears to be the shadow of a BR type gas lamp in the bottom right hand corner dating the picture post 1950. See also DCAV002540 and DCHQ502107.