About this image
Denby furnaces/Ironworks, Denby. The iron trade made great srides in the 19th century. A lease to work ironstone was granted by William Drury-Lowe, for 51 yearsfrom 1/1/1860 to Williams Henry & George Dawes of Elsecar, who traded under the name of Denby Iron & Coal Company. They erected 4 furnaces, 45ft high, increased to 60ft about 1877. After the works were established in 1860 the ironstone rakes were vigorously worked. Due to competition from cheaper Northamptonshire & Lincolnshire ore the working of local ore was discontinued and eventually given up.