About this image
The house was initially put up for Richard, son of Richard Clayton of Codnor Breach, who died in 1697, and his wife Alice. It was sold in 1982 for £68,000 to Mr and Mrs Phillips A Pleasing small seat of two piles of 3 storeys and 3 bays first built 1671/80 and re-modelled in 1790/1800 (date stones). There are thin sill bands, quoins, top parapet and gabled roof. The entrance front upper floor windows have rusticated key blocks carved with sun, moon, owls and the arms of Strelley: all these flourishes being the legacy of the Regency re-building. The house was initially put up for Richard, son of Richard Clayton of Codnor Breach, who died in 1697 and his wife Alice. The heiress of their son, Richard, a Nottingham attorney, married Thomas Robey of Denby Old Hall and their heiress brought the house and estate to William Strelley of Oakethorpe. He was a keen horse racer, and buried one of his mounts under a fine slender stone obelisk in front of the house in the 1770s: the plinth is still there. His Son, Robert, undertook the final rebuilding. It was sold before his death in 1884 by Richard Clayton Strelley, who moved to his ancestral estate at Oakerthorpe, building himself a house called Holly Bank, where he re-erected the obelisk, and where it stood until about 1996 when, despite being on the statutory list, it was peremptorily sold to a London dealer and made its way to be a garden ornament in Germany. The Local Authority, altered, stood supinely by and failed to take action. The last of the family in this line, Clayton Somerville Strelley (b1861) died in the Edwardian period, his daughter having married Charles Haslam who purchased the house and was living there in 1895. Later it was the home of Thomas Farnsworth, before the Great War, and in the 1920s Col.H.J.A. Banks, followed by S Camplion Wright and Capt. T.G. Laurie, MC, and was latterly the home of Mr & Mrs Lloyd. It was sold in 1982 for £68,000 to Mr and Mrs Philips.