About this image
This has since become a Masonic Hall. The Abraham Lincoln Library adjacent to Derby Road was built in 1940. However, it has never been used as a library throughout its life. During World War Two it was used as a hospital to treat and nurse the military personnel unfortunate to receive war injuries. The previous building to stand on this very site was the Derby Road Police Station. Built in 1890 at a cost of 600 pounds sterling and was demolished in 1939.