About this image
The building probably dated from the 1600's and was originally a thatched building. Latterly it became a private residence, prior to demolition between 1909 and 1912. Amongst the publicans at the Golden Ball were John Ward (1827-9), S Hogg (1848-55), Mrs Elizabeth Hogg (1864-76), Thomas Keetley (1881), John Dixon (1887-8), Mrs Emily Dixon (1891), Campbell Robinson (1895), John Noon (1899), William Bower (1904) and Arthur Frost (1908). The building might have stood until 1950 when it became a memorial park. Derek Tarlton remembers storing old clothes and papers for the war effort in the pub.