This image can be used commercially
View of Belper station
Derbyshire Library Service
King Street - Field Lane
About this image
View of Belper station, situated between King Street and Field Lane, looking north towards bridge over Field Lane. The station once had waiting rooms are visible on both platforms. The railway forms an important and unusual feature of the town of Belper. George Stevenson was responsible for the routing of the North Midland Railway through Belper in 1838. There is a deep cutting which is lined with dressed stone running right through the town and there are 10 bridges closely spaced which were used to connect the existing roads and terraced houses. The railway station was opened in 1878. Today there is no station building, passengers must purchase tickets on the train, or in advance. See DCAV000412 for a 1910 picture of the station with the same view.