This image can be used commercially
View of Strutt's East and North Mills from the Triangle at the Bridgefoot - Matlock Road (A6) juncti
Derbyshire Library Service
Bridgefoot - Matlock Road (A6) Triangle
About this image
Showing Jedediah Strutt's North and East Mills. The North Mill is on the left and the later built East Mill is on the right. The first, North Mill, was started in 1776, completed in 1786 and destroyed by fire in 1803. It was replaced a year later by Jedediah's son and admired at that time by some, as the most beautiful and technologically advanced building of the era, mainly due to its fire proof structure, the warm air central heating and the breast shot water wheel. There were 5 mills in Belper by 1792 and only North Mill remains out of the original ones. It is now the home of the Derwent Valley Visitors Centre. In 1912, a massive red brick, 7 storey East Mill was built, which dominates the town. It closed as a mill in the late 20th century and now houses a number of small industrial units, but still remains largely empty.