About this image
Trams, known as 'Ripley Rattlers' ran between Ripley and Nottingham from 1913 to 1932. Construction began in Feb 1913 simultaneously at several places along the route. Buildings were demolished, trees felled, streams diverted, bridges reinforced and gardens destroyed in order to give the tramway its legally demanded width for a gauge of 4ft 8.5 in. The whole route was single track with 316 passing loops, all of which were positioned on the left-hand side of the main track, so that when riding from Nottingham the journey was a succession of swinging movements from left to right as the tramcars sped along the rails. It was by reputation the most dangerous tramcar service in the British Isles, due to the length of its route, and the rise and fall of the countryside it had to negotiate. The line ran from Ripley Market Place to Codnor, Loscoe, Heanor, Langley Mill, Eastwood, Kimberley, Cinderhill, Basford and then on to the terminus at Upper Parliament Street in Nottingham. During the 1920's the tram service suffered from competition by motor-buses which could offer a faster, flexible service over more direct routes. However, the Notts & Derbys Tramways developed its own associated company, The Midland General Omnibus Company, which ran in conjunction with the tramway. By 1928 the Company was granted power to operate a trolley-bus system and the first vehicles were introduced in 1932, by which time the old tramcars had fallen into decline. Finally, on 5 Oct 32, the last passenger carrying tram rattled along the rails to its depot at Langley Mill, signalling the end of an era.