This image can be used commercially
J. Oakes and Co's exhibition block of coal, Pollington Colliery, Brinsley, 1903
Mr S Hill
About this image
This huge block of coal was hewn from Pollington Colliery, near New Brinsley, just inside Nottinghamshire, next to the Derbyshire border. Pollington Colliery, along with Pye Hill, Tunnel (Alfreton) and New Selston Collieries were owned by J. Oakes and Co. who also owned Riddings/Pye Bridge Ironworks.
The picture here shows the largest single piece of coal taken from a mine, 4 Tons 12 Cwts, loaded onto an Oakes railway truck to be taken to the London Colliery Exhibition 1903.
The bearded gentleman with the walking stick is Mr. William Wright, the manager of the colliery. More information on this picture was printed in the Eastwood and Kimberley Advertiser in 1972 (an article by Mr. Adin Purdy).