This image can be used commercially
Pentrich Colliery, off Asher Lane, Pentrich, c 1940
Off Asher Lane
About this image
Coal mining could have been taking place in Pentrich since medieval times, as evidence of medieval bell pits was found when the land was being reclaimed in the 1980's. Pentrich Colliery was employing the men from the village from c 1750. Coal mining continued in Pentrich for centuries, the pits only being closed in 1946 when the rest of the industry was nationalised.