About this image
The colliery was owned by the Shirebrook Colliery Limited. The two shafts were sunk, in 1896-97 to a depth of 520 metres into the Top Hard seam. By March 1896, when sinking operations began on No.1 shaft of Shirebrook Colliery, the village was invaded by thousands of newcomers from other parts of the country - Nottinghamshire, the West Midlands, even Cornwall - in search of a home and job at the new pit. Work had already commenced on the building of a Model Village for the colliery workers, but it was impossible to keep pace with the massive influx of people. By 1901 Shirebrook's population had leapt from less than 600 to nearly 7,000, a tenfold increase in barely five years. The Top Hard seam was worked until exhausted in 1961. During 1945 production commenced in the Main Hard seam, this was exhausted in 1984. In the 1950's - 60's a major reorganisation at the colliery saw No 2 shaft deepened, to the Deep Soft seam, to a depth of 720 metres and a mine car system installed in the No 1 shaft. Production from the Deep Soft seam began in 1955. Development of the Main Bright seam started in 1973. In 1976 - 78 a surface drift, the jubilee was driven to the Clown seam and this formed the means of coal transportation to the surface. Development of the Deep Hard Piper seam commenced in 1981. Another reorganisation saw Shirebrook merge with Pleasley Colliery in 1983. Development of the Blackshale seam commenced in 1986 along with the development of the Tupton seam. The colliery produced it's first million tonnes in 1969 - 70 and in 1986 - 87 Shirebrook produced 1.721.272 tonnes, a North Derbyshire Area output record. The Colliery ceased production in April 1993.