About this image
One of the last 'prefabs' (No. 51 Ebenezer Street) on the Muskham Avenue/Ebenezer Street estate. These were the first post-war prefabricated houses, opened in the spring of 1946. Devised as temporary housing after WWII, pre-fabricated homes fitted with all 'mod cons' represented the new way of living in post-war Britain. The fact that war-damaged aircraft were melted down to produce factory-built homes, and that POW's assisted construction, only helped to make the prefab a symbol of Britain rising from the ashes of war. For the first time many found themselves living in well-designed accommodation with fitted kitchens, hot-running water, new electric appliances, and an inside bathroom. Prefabs turned out to be more durable and popular than anyone had foreseen, and these tiny palaces for the people have become an icon of post-war regeneration. Britain fell in love with the idea that factory-built homes could arrive on the back of a lorry in the morning and residents could move in by tea-time. Quirky styling in steel, aluminium, concrete and asbestos has endeared millions to one of Britain's bravest attempt at social housing. The houses were so popular that many city and town Councils retained them, mainly because their inhabitants refused to leave. Most though, now, have been replaced with more durable brick built structures of a similar single-storey style, though some examples of 'Pre-fabs' still survive.