About this image
The church of St John the Baptist mainly dates to the 14th century, though the tower, with its low attached bell turret and peaked roof, was built in 1846, by Henry Duesbury. Duesbury is best known as the architect of the present Derby Guildhall in 1842, which he rebuilt after the bad fire the previous year. The church is most famous for the 'bloodless battle of Boylestone'. One evening in August 1644, at the height of the civil war, Royalist troops spent the night in the church on their way to the shelter at Wingfield Manor. In the morning they found themselves surrounded by Cromwell's men. They surrendered and were disarmed as they filed out of the church. They were marched off to prison in Derby.