About this image
The road frontage of the former Midland Railway station looking north-east. The station was the terminus of a branch from Duffield and the building seen here was to a standard MR design and also appeared on the branch intermediately at Hazelwood, Shottle and Idridgehay. Opened in 1867, passenger trains were suspended from 16 June 1947, a supposedly temporary closure that was made permanent in 1949 without services having resumed. At the time this photo was taken the branch was still busy with limestone traffic and in fact the station building at Wirksworth was later demolished to make way for a 'dust dock'.
Website contributor John Tedstone adds: 'The line has now been reopened by Wyvern Rail plc and the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Association. It operates over the full length of the branch line between Wirksworth and Duffield, and also between Wirksworth and Ravenstor ( a onetime quarry branch). Trains carrying limestone from the quarry continued until withdrawn in December 1989'.