About this image
Formerly known as the 'Cock and Pynot' inn, famous for scene of plotting the 'Glorious Revolution' of 1688 to depose James II and replace with William of Orange. The old sign that used to hang across the road existed until after 1850. On it were a cock and magpie, painted on top of a blue ground, with the words 'Cock and Pynot'. In the olden days peacocks were often served up in pies at banquets, the head, with the beak gilded, and outspread feathers of the tail being protruded upwards through the crust. This gave the inn sign 'Peacock and Pie'. This was then abbreviated to 'Cock and Pie'. After a lapse of years it was forgotten that 'Cock' was an abbreviation, and the 'Cock was paired up afresh into 'Cock and Magpie'.('Pie' in Derbyshire meaning magpie). The Derbyshire word for magpie being 'Pynot' we arrive at 'Cock and Pynot' from the original 'Peacock and Pie'.