About this image
New and 'old' at the junction of Forest Road East and Mansfield Road as Nottingham Corporation Tramways horse car No 14 meets a new electric tram operating on the route to Sherwood, a line that had opened on 1 January 1901. The view is looking north-east with St Andrew's Church in the background. The horse tram, which seems to be in rundown condition, bears the route inscription Nottingham-Mansfield Road-Carrington, while Player's Navy Cut Cigarettes at 3d (1.5p) per packet are advertised prominently on the electric car.
The tramway route along Forest Road was a link that connected the lines to Basford and Sherwood but unlike the remainder of the horse tram netwoork it was never converted to electric traction and was closed altogether from 30 April 1902, the track having been removed by the outbreak of World War One. This view may have been taken to mark the impending abandonment - certainly the leafless trees suggest a date in early spring.