About this image
Looking east towards Castleton showing the then newly surfaced road up the Winnats. What had previously been a rough track had been improved (controversially) as an alternative to the landslip-prone main road around nearby Mam Tor. Ultimately (from 1979), the Winnats route became the only available highway, the on-going struggle to maintain the subsiding road around Mam Tor being finally given up with the route closed and abandoned.
The leading car (WM 8857) was registered by Southport Borough Council circa 1933, while the vehicle beyond (ELW 490) was registered by London County Council around 1937. Can anyone identify the makes and models?