About this image
The former cotton mill at Edale, which closed in 1934. The sign reads: 'This Mill and Land to be Sold or Let. Apply The Fine Cotton Spinners & Doublers Assoc. Ltd. 6 St James Square, Manchester.'
This four-storey building was constructed in the 1790s and was originally powered by the waters of the River Noe but late in the 19th century it was converted to steam power, hence the chimney on the left. After closure it was used as a warehouse, during World War Two it housed returning soldiers from Dunkirk, before becoming derelict and then being converted to residential use in the 1970s.
The photographer's original caption reveals another bit of the Mill's post-closure history: 'The Derelict Works, Edale. Objection to converting these into a new Modern dustless Electric Steel Works (Mentioned in Parliament).'