About this image
See also PTPD300087.
Major William Wilson JP served as Master of the Barlow Hunt from 1900 until his death in 1956. He resided at Horsleygate Hall, near Holmesfield and in 1941 was described as a 'wealthy snuff and tobacco merchant' with manufacturing premises at Sharrow Mills, Sheffield. His firm - Wilsons of Sharrow - had first manufactured snuff tobacco in 1737 and was still doing so in the ownership of the Wilson family in 2015, the business having by then passed through six generations.
The location of this view is recorded only as 'Cordwell Valley' but it appears to be in Holmesfield, the buildings in the background forming part of Hall Farm.
The origins of the Barlow Hunt can be traced back to at least the end of the 17th century, when dogs were maintained by the local farmers and used to hunt both hares and foxes. Hounds were first kenelled in 1878 and when Major Wilson took over the Mastership it was decided these would only hunt fox, recognition as a pack of foxhounds being made by the Masters of Foxhounds Association in 1907.