From collection of F H Brindley
About this image
The photographer described this view as 'The Roadside Bracken Harvest on Fox House Moorlands, Derbyshire. Exclusive Photo.'
'Exclusive' it may have been but in fact the location is about two miles over the Derbyshire border into South Yorkshire on the flank of Houndkirk Moor, close to the point where Whitelow Lane joins Hathersage Road. The building just discernible in the right background provides the clue: this is the 'Clarion Huts', erected on Dore Moor in 1920 and comprising three seperate timber structures joined together to form a club house for the Sheffield Clarion Fellowship, which included cycling and rambling amongst its widespread activities. The 'Huts' were a well known (and welcome) landmark beside Hathersage Road for many years.
The view is looking north-east and the height of the bracken loaded onto the hay cart is impressive as is the amount that can be lifted using a pitchfork. It is assumed the bracken would be used as bedding for livestock instead of straw.