From collection of F H Brindley
c 1930s ?
About this image
What is presumably a prize bull (thought to be shorthorn) being paraded for the camera in front of The Oaks (sometimes known as The Oakes or Oakes Park), a large country house at Norton on the southern perimeter of Sheffield.
The earliest house on this site existed in 1468 (or 1590 according to an alternative source) but the edifice seen here dates from 1811, although still incorporating much fabric of earlier date. It was the home of the Bagshawe family from the early 18th century until 1987. Listed Grade II-star in 1973, in 2000 it was converted into a children's holiday centre by The Oakes Trust, an interdenominational Christian movement.
Until boundary changes in 1967, Norton and The Oaks was in Derbyshire.