About this image
This view is looking north immediately above Derwent Dam with Howden Dam barely discernible in the far distance. The structures in the foreground are plinths that once formed part of a viaduct carrying the Bamford & Howden Railway across Ashton Clough. The B&HR was constructed solely to facilitate the building of the Derwent and Howden Dams and was in use from 1903 until 1916. Close examination of the nearest pier shows it to be covered in graffiti.
One of a series of pictures taken by the photographer to illustrate the effect of prolonged drought on the reservoir. He wrote 'Snap today 'Low Again' - Derwent Dams which supply Sheffield, Derby, Leicester and Notts with water.'