About this image
Looking north-west from High Street showing the Market Cross and subterranean public conveniences. The Swan Hotel bears a plaque reading 'O T B 1773' and here advertises Gartsides Fine Ales, a brewery based in Ashton-under-Lyne. However, by 2011 the hotel had closed and the building was in use as the town's post office, while the gabled Victorian building to the left had been demolished and replaced by a supermarket.
This image pre-dates 1919 as it does not show the town's present war memorial.