About this image
Hayfield Road, Town End (or Townend as the Ordnance Survey spelled it) looking south-east towards Market Street. Bowden Lane joins from the left in the middle distance, the junction being marked by a finger post. The house on the far side of Bowden Lane is Reddish Green, while the hill in the distance is Peaslows in the direction of Sparrowpit.
Most of the buildings seen here were still standing in 2011 but that on the right had lost its bay window and was no longer a shop. At some date between 1898 and 1921 the section of Hayfield Road beyond Bowden Lane became known as Hayfield Road East.
Picture the Past is grateful to website contributor Geoff Roberts for advising on the precise location of this view.