About this image
Looking south-west across the valley of the Black Brook from a field above Townend - the footpath visible on the left led from Townend up towards Bowden Hall and Slack Hall, while the houses in the foreground are in Bowden Lane and Hayfield Road; they would have been relatively new at the date this photo was taken as most of them do not appear on an Ordnance Survey map of 1899. To the left of these the tall chimney belonged to a dye works and close by the spire of the Methodist (Wesleyan) chapel can also be picked out. On the hillside right of centre is the tower of St Thomas a Becket Parish Church. Ladder Hill forms the backdrop.