About this image
This is one (identified as No 3) of three panoramic views taken from the tower of St Thomas a Becket Parish Church. The original caption reads: 'Chapel-en-le-Frith Looking East 1912' and 'Taken from Church Tower. By the late Mr J Waterhouse, Bowden Head'.
In fact, in this instance the photographer is here looking north across Chapel Milton and Wash with South Head prominent on the left. The wooded area in the near middle distance marks the course of the Black Brook and of Hayfield Road (subsequently the A624), with Stodhart Lodge hidden somewhere among the trees. At the left-hand end of the woodland are the still raw-looking spoil heaps adjoining Chinley East Junction that had been left over from construction of the Midland Railway's Dore & Chinley line between 1888 and 1894. This penetrated the high ground via the lengthy Cowburn Tunnel (just out of the picture to the right) before emerging in the Vale of Edale. Above the spoil heaps a lane can be detected running up to serve the scattered farmsteads on the southern flank of South Head.
For an overall view of the three images in this group please see DCRO100739 and for the other individual views DCRO100739B (No 4) and DCRO100739C (No 5).