About this image
The Cock and Pynot inn stands at the junction of the old Sheffield and Rotherham Road. It was here that in 1688 that three local noblemen, the Earl of Devonshire, the Earl of Danby and John D'Arcy met to begin planning their part in the events which led to the overthrow of James II in favour of his daughter and her husband, William of Orange. For his part in the proceedings the Earl of Devonshire was made the first Duke of Devonshire. The Cock and Pynot inn, known as Revolution House, is now a museum. The tiny cottage with it's thatched roof, features period furnishings and a changing exhibition on local themes.
A new pub called the Cock and Magpie was built nearby.