About this image
Setting off on Sunday School Anniversary Parade - children accompanied by Jack Dunsford and Annie Walker (with Michael). On the pavement to right of Mrs Leslie Slater (Slater's Shop), Ernest Pugh and Percy Coope.
Information taken from www.bethel-methodist-sn.co.uk:
Bethel was opened as an independent place of worship on the 5th December 1886 with a procession from the previous building (converted farm buildings) on the corner of Sporton Lane and Main Street. The new building, being built on two plots of land between Victoria Street and Albert Street, was designed by 21 year old architect John Tomlinson (who became a local Preacher, JP, Chapel and Trust Secretary). Bethel is unusual in The Methodist Church in still being on a its own private Deed.
In 1889 a separate building was built for the Sunday school facing onto Albert Street. The Sunday school had continued in the old Chapel.
In 1906 the church was extended and wings were added giving the building a cruciform shape and an organ was obtained and installed in the 'Head of the Cross' with an area for the pulpit and a choir in front. John Tomlinson was again the architect. A stained glass window in memory of Charles and Matilda Tomlinson was installed in the Victoria Street wing.