About this image
The bridge dates from 1664. It crosses the River Wye between the A6 (Buxton Road) and New Lumford. The triangular shaped indents on top of the bridge were designed to shelter pedestrians whilst packhorses, or animals and their drovers, passed by.
Bakewell Bridge which was wide enough to take carts. Castle St is in the foreground, the butler's house for Castle Hill House in the background and the cottages between Coombs Rd and Station Rd to the right in the background.