About this image
Melbourne Castle was originally a royal fortified manor house, founded by King John.
In 1311, Robert de Holand founded the stone castle, when he was granted a licence to crenellate but sadly the only remains, are a fragment of one wall and the buried foundations of rooms and a semi-circular tower. The castle with its square gatehouse, was a large and impressive multi-towered structure but it was never fully completed.
In 1461 during the Wars of the Roses, this Lancastrian fortress was partially dismantled and left to decay, being eventually demolished in the 17th century. (Information from www.castleuk.net)
A 20 metre length of ruined wall covered by ivy in the back garden of a house is all that remains of the medieval fortified manor.
See also image DCHQ003044.