About this image
The entrance front of Egginton Hall looking north.
The Egginton Hall seen here was constructed in 1782-83 as a replacement for an earlier mansion on the same site. The architect was Samuel Wyatt (1737-1807) who some 20 years earlier had been involved in making alterations to the pre-existing house with his father Benjamin and brother William. Egginton was the Derbyshire seat of the Every family and the Hall formed the centrepiece of a 50 acre park, the entire Egginton estate amounting to 3,200 acres in 1737.
In the 20th century the Hall was mainly let out and at the date this photo was taken was probably the home of a Captain Dugdale. After World War Two its deteriorating condition resulted in it becoming unoccupied and in 1955 it was demolished, the Everys subsequently residing at a smaller house in Egginton village. For the ensuing 40 years the site remained vacant with only the ruinous stable block surviving but in 1994 it was purchased, along with 18 acres of the former park, by a local property developer and a new Egginton Hall, in classical style, was erected, the architect being Adam Bench of Derby-based Derek Latham & Associates. Some of the detailing of the new house reflects that of its predecessor.
This photo was taken by Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt and the number he allocated it in his series may be 928, although this has not been confirmed.
Please note the original negative of this image is cracked.