About this image
The disused and short-lived blast furnace at Moira showing the ancillary ironworks buildings converted into cottages. Just visible above the hut in the centre of the picture is a wooden footbridge spanning the otherwise hidden Ashby de la Zouch Canal. Looking south-east.
Constructed by the Earl of Moira in 1804, the furnace was something of a failure and was only in blast from 1806 until 1811, although the adjacent foundry continued to operate for some years afterwards. Today, the furnace is a Scheduled Ancient Monument with public access but the building on the left (the former engine house) did not survive long enough to enjoy such protection and has gone.
This photo was taken by Derby-based postcard publisher F W Scarratt and was numbered 810 in his series.