About this image
The entrance front of Tissington Hall seen from The Green and looking west. The Hall was (and remained so into the 21st century) the home of the FitzHerbert family, the core of the present building dating back to 1609 but with alterations made in the 18th century. An over-ambitious scheme of 1802 by the the youthful Sir Henry FitzHerbert, 3rd Baronet (1783-1858), and employing the architect Sir Jeffrey Wyatville (1766-1840), would have considerable extended (and dwarfed) the earlier house but this did not proceed as intended and it was not until 1910 that more modest additions was made in the form of a pair of two-storey wings to the west and north. These, designed by Arnold Bidlake Mitchell (1864-1944), contained a library and service accommodation respectively.
This view was taken by Derby-based postcard producer F W Scarratt (1876-1964) and although the number allocated to it in his series in unknown, it was possibly in the 1420s.
Parked to the right of the entrance gate is the photographer's motor car, a Morris Cowley 'Bullnose' 2-seater (with a Dickey Seat in the boot). About 150,000 'Bullnoses' were made between 1919 and 1926 and Scarratt often included his in his later pictures. His wife Mary - who also figured in many of his views - can just be discerned awaiting her husband's return to the car.