About this image
Back row left to right: ?, ?, ?, Charlie Littlewood, David Easingwood (Chief Telegraph Clerk), George White (Goods Clerk) and Horace Day;
Second row: ?, Wilf Palmer, Syd Howkins, Chris Harrison, Freddie Bostock, ?, Archie Payne, Cyril Bagshaw (Junior Clerk) and Bill Farnsworth (Goods Checker);
Seated: ?, Harry Bell (Ticket Examiner), Albert Martin (Station Inspector), Mr. Felix Hartford (Station Master), Frank Middleton (Station Inspector), George Tyler (Ticket Examiner) and Pat Campbell;
Front row: ?, Harold Clews (Junior Clerk).
Situated on the Midland Railway's Derby - Manchester main line, when opened originally in 1867-8 the station was a simple two-platform stopping place serving the needs of the adjoining village. Completion of the Dore & Chinley route from Sheffield in 1893-4 made Chinley into an important junction and, in due course, this much larger station resulted. Much reduced in size, Chinley is still open for passenger traffic today; since closure of the Derby line in 1968, the station has effectively reverted to its earlier wayside status.