About this image
Showing flooding on the A6 as viewed from the station.
The railway station at Ambergate was notable in being one of only three stations in England to be arranged in a triangular fashion. This situation arose in 1876 when a new station was constructed within the triangular junction formed by the divergence of the Midland Railway's Derby to Leeds and Ambergate-Matlock-Manchester main lines.
Today, only a section of Platform 2 remains in use for trains between Derby and Matlock; the site of Platforms 3 and 4, which were taken out of use in 1968, has been infilled to form a car park.