About this image
From J & P Pierce's 'Whaley Bridge in old picture postcards' - No. 41. At the time of the photograph there were 1,300 looms at the mills.
Coal mining and bleaching for the cotton industry, were once a very important part of the town's livelihood.
However, very little actually remains today. A cast iron sign reading 'Goyt Mills' and the date 1865, is the only reminder of the former industrial use of a site now occupied by new town housing.
The sign was donated to the Town Council who refurbished it and displayed it at the entrance to the Woodbrook estate, at the end of Bridge Street, the site of the former mill.