About this image
The children came to Amber Valley Camp School from schools in Derby or Nottingham. Some children stayed for a month at a time, sometimes with one or two of their own teachers. Occasionally a child would stay for two months, if their circumstances warranted it. All the six dormitories had Derbyshire place names and only the dining hall remains which is now the Ogston Sailing Club. The flooding of the valley in 1958 to create the Ogston Reservoir, completely submerged farmland, roads and part of the Ashover Light Railway. The reservoir also destroyed most of the village of Woolley. The villagers were relocated into council houses built in another local hamlet, Badger Lane, which eventually became known as the village of Woolley on the Moor, which subsequently became the present village of Woolley Moor. From an album belonging to Constance Meeds, a record of her time as a teacher at Amber Valley Camp; donated by her niece Sylvia Barton.
Middle row second from the left is Beryl Annie Leivers. The girls stayed for only three weeks rather than four as the last week was Christmas. She remembers all the girls swapping and borrowing clothes and lots of them being homesick and not eating too well until one of the male teachers sent them off on a long walk with the promise of a bus to bring them back to the camp, the bus didn't show up so they all had to walk back, the teacher was waiting at the gate on their return saying "bet your all hungry now". She has very happy memories of her time at Amber Valley Camp. (Information kindly supplied by Linda Little).